Grain-free, oil-free, nut-free and vegan pumpkin muffins, prepared in one bowl with ease! Made with chickpea flour, they are moist, tender, and fragrant with pumpkin pie spice.
- 1 cup (120 g) chickpea flour (sifted, if lumpy)
- 1/4 cup (36 g) coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons (20 g) flaxseed meal (or ground chia seeds)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) canned, unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 to 3 tablespoons pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line 8 cups of a standard size muffin pan with paper or foil liners. (Optional: spritz the interior of the liners with cooking spray to prevent sticking–see note).
- In a large bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, coconut sugar, flaxseed meal, pumpkin pie spice and salt, breaking up any and all lumps in the chickpea flour.
- Add the pumpkin, water and vanilla to chickpea mixture, stirring until well-blended.
- Divide batter evenly between the 8 prepared muffin cups (do not overfill, use all 8 cups). If desired, sprinkle tops with a few pepitas.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 17 minutes until tops are firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted near the center of a muffin comes out with only moist crumbs attached
Storage: Store the completely cooled muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: Pumpkin muffins tend to stick to the paper or foil liners. To prevent this, give the interiors of the liners a spritz of cooking spray (sides and bottom) before filling with batter
Sweetener Options: An equal amount of your favorite granular or liquid sweetener can be used in place of the coconut sugar. If using a liquid sweetener, decrease the total amount of water to 1/4 cup (60 mL).
- Category: Bread, Muffin
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 8.3 g
- Sodium: 167 mg
- Fat: 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg