5-Ingredient (perfect!) scones, made with oats and coconut flour! They are vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, easy-to-make, and healthy, plus they can be varied in endless ways.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (120 g) rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1/4 cup (28 g) coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) natural cane sugar optional: more for sprinkling on top)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons (40 g) coconut oil, chilled until solid
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice water
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).Lie a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the oats in a food processor; process into a fine flour. Add the coconut flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; pulse to combine.
- Cut the chilled coconut oil into smaller pieces and add to the processor. Pulse until incorporated and mixture looks like slightly damp sand. Drizzle in the ice water, pulsing until completely combined.
- Turn the dough out onto cutting board very lightly dusted with coconut flour. Pat the dough together and shape into a 6-inch (15 cm) circle about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Cut dough into 6 even wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle tops with a bit more sugar
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 16 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Carefully transfer scones to a wire cooling rack. Serve warm or cool completely.
Storage: Store the cooled scones in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 5 days, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Some Flavor Ideas: Add extracts (e.g., 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract), 2 teaspoons finely grated citrus zest (e.g., lemon, lime, orange), or 1 teaspoon ground spices (e.g., ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice).
Some Stir-In Ideas: 1/4 cup (60 mL) miniature semisweet chocolate chips, 1/2
cup(125 mL) fresh blueberries or raspberries, 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped dried fruit, 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted nuts or seeds.
- Category: Scones, Breakfast, Bread
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 228 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.8 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg