Your new favorite bread: Oat & Flax Skillet Bread, made with only 3 ingredients (excluding water and optional salt). It is vegan, oil-free, easy-to-make and so delicious, plus only 91 calories per big wedge.
- 2 cups (180 g) rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1/4 cup (26 g) flaxseed meal
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
- IN a medium to large bowl, combine the oats, flaxseed meal and water until blended. Let soak for at least 30 minutes or for up to 12 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes of soaking, preheat the oven to 400F(200C). Place a 9- to 10-inch (22.5 to 25 cm) well-seasoned cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat, too (see notes for pan options).
- Vigorously stir the oat mixture for 30 to 90 seconds (with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula) until the oats are mostly broken down (but batter is not entirely smooth). Stir in the baking powder and (optional) salt.
- Spread batter into hot skillet, smoothing the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown, set at the center, and the top has some fine cracks on top. Transfer skillet to cooling rack and cool at least 10 minutes. Invert bread onto rack and cool completely. Cut into 8 wedges.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: Use either old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats. They are nutritionally the same (quick-cooking oats are simply cut into smaller pieces after they are rolled).
Flaxseed substitute: 3 tablespoons of ground chia seeds can be used in place of the flaxseed meal.
Skillet/Pan Options: If you do not have a cast iron skillet, use a high-sided cake pan or a 9-inch (22.5 cm) square glass or metal baking pan. Two considerations if using one of these alternatives: (1) you will need to grease the pan a little bit, since it is not nonstick like a well-seasoned cast iron skillet; (2) if you choose not to preheat the pan, you will need to bake the bread a bit longer, about 5 to 8 minutes more.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 wedge (1/8 of loaf)
- Calories: 91
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 182.9 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg