Make your good morning GREAT with these hash brown and chickpea flour omelet cups! Vegan and grain-free, they are delicious, easy, and only 89 calories each.
- 10 oz (284 g) refrigerated or frozen (thawed) shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup (120 g) chickpea flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups (300 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (7.5 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 of a large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C). Grease or spray 9 cups of a standard size muffin tin.
- Divide the potatoes evenly between the prepared cups (do not tamp down). Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, water, yeast, oil, baking powder, paprika, salt and pepper until blended and smooth.
- Distribute the bell pepper and green onions evenly over the baked hash browns; ladle the chickpea flour batter over the vegetables (cups will be filled to the rim).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 21 minutes until the omelet cups are puffed and just set at the centers. Transfer to a cooling rack; cool at least 10 minutes before running a knife around the edge of each cup to remove.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Tip: Shredded hash brown are typically sold in 20 ounce bags. Use half for the recipe, freeze the other half for future use. Alternatively, coarsely grate 10 ounces (284 g) of peeled fresh potatoes (about 1 and 3/4 cups).
- Category: Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1 omelet cup
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 158.2 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg