Easy, fresh, and gorgeous chopped radicchio salad–without the bittterness! The secret is soaking the leaves in ice water. Made with minimal ingredients, the salad is vegan, paleo, and keto friendly.
- 2 small heads of radicchio (about 10-12 oz/280-340 g total)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (see notes for Keto option)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Halve the radicchio lengthwise, cut out the cores. Coarsely chop the leaves into small bite-size pieces.
- Place the leaves in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with ice water and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Drain the leaves and place in a salad spinner to remove all of the excess water. Transfer the dried leaves and the parsely to a large, dry bowl.
- In a small covered jar, shake together the dressing ingredients until completley blended.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
KETO Option: Replace the maple syrup with an equal amount of keto-friendly liquid or dry sweetener.
Keto Macros (replacing maple syrup with keto sweetener) per serving: Calories: 48, Total Carbs: 3.5 g, Total Sugars: 0.5 g. The remaining macros remain the same.
Radicchio Tip: Though less common in US grocery stores, radicchio heads can also have a more elongated, cylindrical shape. Use any variety!
Oil Options: An equal amount of the oil of your choice can be used in place of the olive oil. Avoid oils that are solid at room temperature.
Tip: For maximum crispness, do not toss the salad with the dressing until just before serving. The soaked, dried radicchio leaves will remain crisp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Vinegar Options: Other vinegars, such as champagne vinegar, sherry vinegar, or balsamic vinegar can be used in place of the white wine vinegar.
- Category: Salad
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 61
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 168
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0