Healthy 4-ingredient flatbread, made with ease from white beans and coconut flour! It is grain-free, vegan, and low carb.
- 1 and 1/3 cups (200 g) dry white beans (I used Great Northern beans)
- Water to soak beans
- 1 and 1/3 cups (325 mL) water
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil (more, if desired, for drizzling on top)
- 1/2 cup (56 g) coconut flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons (12 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 (2.5 mL) teaspoon salt
- Thoroughly rinse and drain the beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and add enough water to cover beans by at least 1 inch (2.5 cm). Soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a blender, process the drained beans with the 1-1/3 cups (325 mL) water and oil until completely blended and smooth.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the coconut flour, baking powder and salt until completley blended.
- Scrape the dough (it will be thick) onto the prepared baking sheet. With a spoon or moist hands, press into an even 13×9-inch (33×22 cm) rectangle. If desired, drizzle with a few teaspoons of additional olive oil and/or sprinkle with optional rosemary.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 28 to 32 minutes until the surface appears dry with small cracks, and the outer edges are very light golden brown.
- Cool on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.
Storage: Store the cooled bread in an airtight container at (cool) room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
Quick-Soak Method for Beans: Rinse and drain the beans. Place the drained beans in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover by an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let soak, uncovered, for 1 hour. Drain and rinse under cool water.
- Category: Bread
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 127 mg
- Fat: 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.4 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0mg