This 2-ingredient porridge is destined to be a favorite! Vegan, keto and grain-free, it boasts 10.8 g fiber, 5 g protein, and only 139 calories per serving. Wow!
It may be close to dinnertime as I post, but I am about to share some serious breakfast joy.
It’s ready-in-under-2 minutes easy.
It’s my 2-ingredient Coconut-Flax Porridge.
This is such an amazing hot cereal: thick, creamy, filling, and with a texture akin to farina or cream of wheat. It is also:
*Only 139 calories per generous (and filling!) serving
*High protein (5 g per serving)
*High fiber (almost 11 g per serving)
I think you may have deduced the 2 ingredients that comprise this porridge: (1) coconut flour, and (2) flaxseed meal.
If you like (I do) add a pinch of salt, too. To make 1 serving, you will need 3 and 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour and 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal. It will not look like much, but just wait…
You can make the cereal in one of two ways. I’ll start with the stovetop method.
Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Turn the heat to low, add the coconut flour-flax mixture and stir for about 1 minute until thick and creamy. It will yield about 1 and 1/4 cups of porridge
Coconut flour has a natural sweetness, so you enjoy this with little or no adornments. However, you can accessorize your porridge any which way you like, too, with a drizzle of milk, fresh or dried fruits, nuts, seeds, sweeteners, you name it.
I love the subtle coconut flavor of this porridge, but if you want to offset it, add a pinch of spice (e.g., cinnamon, pumpkin spice, cardamom), a few drops of vanilla (or a teeny-tiny drop of almond extract), or some citrus zest.
Blueberries + coconut sugar + almond milk is wicked good.
Next, the microwave method. Place the coconut-flax mixture in a bowl (or a 2-cup Mason jar, for breakfast on the go or at your desk). Pour 1 cup of boiling water into the bowl or jar, stirring to combine. Microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Done!
I added about 1 tablespoon of chopped dried cranberries to the jar below. So good!
I am partial to a cold drizzle of milk on top of my porridge, but you can certainly use milk in place of the water (or half milk, half water) for an even creamier result.
I hope you love this cereal as much as I do! I even ate a batch for a mid-afternoon snack. Happy Friday!
- 3 and ½ tablespoons (24.5 g) coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon (7.5 g) flaxseed meal
- Optional: pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup water
- Optional: toppings, such as fresh fruit, nondairy milk, maple syrup, dried fruit, etc.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut flour, flaxseed meal and (optional) salt.
- Saucepan method: In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil; reduce heat to low and stir in the coconut-flax mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute until thick and hot.
- Immediately transfer to a bowl and eat with any toppings you desire!
- Microwave method: Add 1 cup boiling water to bowl with the coconut-flax mixture, stirring to combine. Microwave on high for about 30 seconds until hot and thickened. Eat with any toppings you desire!
Coconut-Chia Porridge: Replace the flaxseed meal with 1 tablespoon ground or whole chia seeds.