English cucumber “cups” are filled with a fresh, easy, flavor-packed Asian filling, perfect for show-off appetizers or healthy snacks.
Just in the nick of time, I have an appetizer recipe to share that is perfect for any and all New Year’s Eve gatherings!
It’s super-simple, gorgeous, packed with flavors, healthy, and can be made ahead of time, too.
Sounds too good to be true, right?
It’s not! It’s my Sesame-Sriracha Stuffed Cucumber Cups!
I developed these cups as part of my entry into the Paisley Farm Holiday Blogger Recipe Contest. Paisley Farm makes a variety of jarred, flavor-packed, ready-to-eat bean salads and pickled vegetables that, IMHO, taste as good as homemade.
They also happen to be ideal for making quick and incredibly flavorful recipes, such as these cucumber cups.
I used the Asian Bean Salad to make these cups. The only other ingredients in the recipe are English cucumbers, toasted sesame oil, sriracha and cilantro.
It might not sound like much, but this is a case of the sum being far greater than the parts.
Begin by making the cucumber cups. You do not have to peel the cucumber; the skin of English cucumbers is tender. Simply cut the cucumbers (I used 2) into approximately 1-inch-wide pieces. I got 12 pieces per cucumber.
Next, use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out some of the cucumber in each piece, creating cucumber “cups.” Be sure the keep the bottom intact.
Next, pulse (or finely chop on a cutting board) 1 cup of the drained Asian salad. Use on/off pulses if using a food processor; aim for finely chopped, not a puree.
Transfer the chopped salad to a small bowl and stir in the cilantro, sesame oil and sriracha. The combination is so flavorful! You can easily skip the cucumbers and simply serve this as a dip or spread.
Fill the cucumber cups with the bean mixture mounding slightly. If you like, sprinkle with sesame seeds (I used both black and white seeds).
That’s it! You can serve immediately, or loosely cover and chill for up to 8 hours before serving.
As good as these are as appetizers, they also make satisfying snacks–perfect for keeping healthy New Year resolutions to eat more vegetables!
Happy New Year everybody!
- 2 English cucumbers, ends trimmed, chilled until cold
- 1 cup drained Paisley Farm Asian Bean Salad
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 and ⅛ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (Asian hot sauce)
- Optional garnishes: black and/or white sesame seeds
- Cut the cucumbers crosswise into 1-inch thick rounds. Using a melon baller or tip of a small spoon, scoop out the middles to create a cup (leaving sides and bottom of slices intact).
- In a food processor, pulse the bean salad until finely chopped (small pieces of beans should still be distinct). Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the cilantro, sesame oil and sriracha until combined.
- Fill the prepared cucumber cups with the bean mixture, mounding slightly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Refrigerate the cups, loosely covered, until ready to serve. Eat!