A stellar lentil loaf, made with ease and humble ingredients and packed with flavor. It is vegan, grain-free, high in protein (8.5 grams) and low in calories (150) per jumbo slice, too!
- 1 cup dry lentils, (any variety), rinsed
- 3–1/4 cups water
- 1–1/2 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 medium onion, chopped relatively fine
- 1 large carrot, chopped relatively fine
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped relatively fine
- 1/2 cup chopped orange or red bell pepper
- 1–1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional, but so good!)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste, as needed)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (more to taste, as needed)
- 2/3 cup chickpea flour, sifted as needed
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons organic barbecue sauce or ketchup
- In a large saucepan, combine the water and rinsed lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until very soft and falling apart. Transfer the lentils and remaining liquid (do not drain!) to a large bowl to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Oil or spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan; line with parchment paper, leaving a paper overhang.
- While the lentils cook, heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and bell pepper. Cook and stir for 6 to 7 minutes until softened. Add the rosemary, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl with the lentils, stirring to combine.
- Transfer about 3/4 of the cooled lentil-vegetable mixture to a food processor; pulse until blended but not completely smooth; return to bowl with remaining lentils and vegetables.
- Add the chickpea flour, coconut flour, and flaxseed meal to bowl, stirring until blended, The batter should be fairly stiff, but still quite moist. Taste and adjust salt & pepper as desired. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Spoon and spread the sauce over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes until well-browned and firm at the center.
Storage: Store the cooled loaf, wrapped tightly in the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer (place wrapped loaf in an airtight zip-top bag or container) for up to 6 months.
- Category: Dinner, Entree
- Serving Size: 1/8 of loaf
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 374.3 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- Fiber: 10.1 g
- Protein: 8.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg