Oven-roasted carrot and parsnip hash, made vibrant with Moroccan spices. Each serving of this quick & easy hash is packed with vitamins A & C (for gorgeous skin!) and 5 g of fiber. It’s also Grain-Free, Vegan, Paleo & Keto.
I probably should not make any promises, but this oven-roasted hash may make you feel extra-happy this weekend.
It’s not just because the hash is beautiful, easy-to-make, and delicious. It is all about the nutritional power of the two starring ingredients: carrots and parsnips.
I love both parsnips and carrots, but our supermarkets do not always have parsnips in stock, at least until fall rolls around. So when I saw spotted some this week, I grabbed a bunch to match the bunch of carrots already in my cart.
The two vegetables are cousins, and in addition to a shared shape, both have the ability to boost serotonin in the brain, which helps you feel happier.
Would it be too much to call this Happy Hash? Both my son and husband said yes. But I can still think of it as such! And, though it may be a placebo effect, but I am definitely feeling merry since enjoying atat dinner last night, and as leftovers at lunch today,
This makes a perfect side-dish for the transition from summer to autumn eating, too. Roasting, which brings out the caramelized sweetness of the vegetables, speaks to the latter, while the bell pepper, fresh herbs, and bright colors of this dish hold on to the former.
You can easily make this into a meatless main dish, too. I did just that at lunch by adding some black beans, with some salsa and avocado on top. Or pair the hash with any number of mains, whether you are serving a carnivorous or vegan crew.
Happy eating everyone, and have a wonderful weekend!
- 12 ounces carrots, peeled & cut into cubes (mine were about ¾-inch)
- 8 ounces parsnips peeled & cut into cubes (about ¾-inch)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into medium chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced into medium chunks
- 1 and ½ tablespoons olive oil OR oil of choice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Distribute the carrots, parsnips and bell pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper; use hands to toass and coat vegetables and spread into a single, even layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes; stir vegetables. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes longer until pasnips and carrots are tender. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving.