Instant hot cereal that is grain-free, vegan, Paleo-friendly and oh-so-satisfying! Made with coconut flour, coconut flakes, and flaxseed meal, it is thick, creamy, oatmeal-like, & ready to eat in minutes.
Raise your hand if packets of instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, or other hot cereals have made an appearance in your past.
Both of my hands are up, way up! I stashed a trove of assorted instant hot cereal packets in my dorm desk drawer throughout college when I could not make it to the dining hall. With the help of my trusty plug-in kettle, I made many an instant meal (well beyond breakfast!) while studying in my room.
The convenience is hard to beat, but if you are looking for a grain-free version, you won’t find it at the grocery store.
You will, however, find it here. Welcome Instant Coconut Hot Cereal.
I mean it when I say this is an “instant” hot cereal: just add boiling water, stir until it thickens, and top with any and all of your favorite toppings. Just like the instant packets you remember!
More good news: the mix for this instant cereal is limited to three ingredients!
(1) Finely chopped unsweetened coconut flakes
(2) Coconut flour
(3) Flaxseed meal
I like to add a bit of salt, too, but it is optional.
I chop the coconut fine so that the pieces are closer in size to rolled oats. Hence, you can begin with either large flake or small flake coconut.
To prepare the mix? Combine the three ingredients in a jar or tightly covered container. The recipe I’ve constructed makes enough for 6 servings of hot cereal, but you can double or triple the recipe if you have a larger crew in the house.
To make a serving of cereal, combine 1/3 cup of the hot cereal mix with 1 cup boiling water in a mug or bowl and stir until the cereal thickens (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). That’s it! The cereal is creamy and thick, with a texture that is a cross between oatmeal and cream of wheat. The cereal is:
*High in fiber (10.2 g per serving!)
One third cup of porridge mix may not sound like much, but it is. Coconut flour is extremely absorbent, so when the 1/3 cup mix is combined with 1 cup of boiling water, the result is a big bowl of rich-tasting, creamy hot cereal. With a whopping 10.2 grams of fiber per serving, this is one extremely satisfying breakfast that I guarantee will keep you feeling full all morning long.
Pack single size portions to take along to work, school or wherever you might be headed. Or just enjoy a warming, satisfying breakfast at home that takes seconds to prepare.
- Hot Cereal Mix:
- 1 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened flake coconut, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- To Prepare 1 serving Hot Cereal:
- ⅓ cup Hot Cereal Mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- Suggested Stir-Ins or Toppings: coconut sugar, fresh or dried fruit, maple syrup, nut butter, nondairy milk, vanilla extract, spices (e.g., cinnamon)
- Hot Cereal Mix: Combine the coconut flour, coconut, flaxseed meal and optional salt in an airtight container or jar.
- To Prepare 1 Serving Hot Cereal: In a bowl or large mug, combine ⅓ cup hot cereal mix and 1 cup of boiling water. Stir until combined and porridge thickens, about 30 to 60 seconds. Serve with any of the suggest stir-ins or toppings, as desired.