Chewy, easy-to-make energy bars, bursting with two favorite flavors of summer: strawberry and lemon. They are no-bake, as well as naturally nut-free, gluten-free and vegan.
- 2 and 3/4 cups puffed millet
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup smooth sunflower seed butter
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup crumbled freeze-dried strawberries
- Lightly spray or grease a 9-inch baking pan; line with parchment paper.
- Combine the millet and optional chia seeds in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine the sunflower seed butter, brown rice syrup, coconut oil, lemon juice and salt, stirring until melted and beginning to bubble. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Working quickly, pour sunflower seed mixture over millet; stir to partially combine. Sprinkle in strawberries and stir until mixture is well coated and combined.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan, firmly tamping down until even (I use the bottom of another small pan to do this). Cool completely and then refrigerate until firm.
- Use the parment liner to remove the firm slab to a cutting board and cut into bars.
Storage: Store the cooled bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tip: An equal amount of smooth nut putter or tahini can be used in place of the sunflower seed butter.
- Category: Snack, Energy Bar
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 154
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 103.9 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g