A quick & simple, dark & delicious quick bead made with teff flour and oats. Naturally gluten-free, vegan and yeast-free, it is perfect for fueling up before your next marathon or any of your epic adventures!
- 1–3/4 cups water
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1–1/2 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup whole psyllium husks
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup teff flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1–1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup oil (e.g., I used avocado)
- In a large bowl, stir together the water, milk, vinegar, oats, psyllium, flaxseed meal and molasses until combined. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F and grease or spray 4 small loaf pans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the teff flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the teff mixture and oil to the oats mixture, stirring vigorously until completely combined (batter will be very thick). Divide batter equally between prepared pans, smoothing tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 44 minutes and tops of loaves are very puffed. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely in pans (loaves will begin deflating almost immediately, to about the level of each pan top).
- Remove from pans, slice and eat!
Flour subs: An equal amount of amaranth flour, quinoa flour, sorghum flour or millet flour can be used in place of the teff flour.
Sweetener subs: An equal amount of maple syrup or honey (if vegan is not necessary) can be used in place of the molasses. If you prefer no sugar, you could add 3 extra tbsp. of milk, or 3 tbsp. of applesauce or pumpkin puree.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/8 of 1 loaf)
- Calories: 56
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 157 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg