Easy, fuss-free, perfect pie crust made with coconut flour and almond flour. It is grain-free, gluten-free, and Paleo, plus, it is easily made vegan by using flax eggs in place of regular eggs.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs OR 2 flax eggs (see recipe notes)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, unsalted butter, or ghee, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour and salt, breaking up any lumps.
- Add the eggs and oil to bowl, stirring until completely combined.
- Press dough evenly in bottom and sides of an 8-inch or 9-inch pie pan or tart tin.
- Unbaked Crust: the crust is ready for use in recipes that call for adding the filling to an unbaked crust before baking. It can also be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to fill and bake.
- Par-baked Crust: the crust is ready for use in recipes that call for adding the filling to a par-baked crust before baking. Prick the bottom of crust 2 or 3 times with fork (to release steam). Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for par-baked crust.
- Fully-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 2 or 3 times with fork (to release steam). Bake in preheated oven for 23 to 27 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for fully-baked crust.
Flax Eggs: To replace the 2 large eggs, combine 1/3 cup water with 4 teaspoons flaxseed meal. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken/gel before using.
Nutrition for Vegan Version: The recipe calculations were done for the ghee & real eggs version. Here are the nutrition facts for the vegan version (i.e., flax eggs & coconut oil) For each 1/8 portion of crust: Calories: 141 Fat: 11.6 g Sat Fat: 7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 84 mg Carbs: 5.8 g Fiber: 3.6 g Sugars: 0.8 g Protein: 1.2 g
- Serving Size: 1/8 of crust
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: .8 g
- Sodium: 103 mg
- Fat: 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.6 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 62 mg