Mix, press & bake–that’s all it takes to prepare this tender, delicious and foolproof pie crust! It also happens to be grain-free, gluten-free, Paleo, and even vegan, if needed (vegan option is included).
Good morning, everyone!
In this final week before Thanksgiving, I’ve decided to share three incredible pie crust recipes that will make your baking easier than ever.
First up, my Coconut Flour-Almond Flour Pie Crust.
It just so happens to be:
*vegan (simply use flax eggs in place of regular eggs)
It is also 100% fuss-free.
When I say fuss-free, I mean it. Think 2 to 3 minutes of measuring and mixing, followed by another minute of pressing into the pie pan or tart tin.
No chilling. No rolling. No worries about over-working the dough. No pie weights. Nada.
But true love for this crust peaks with the tasting: it has a delicate, nutty flavor that complements any filling, sweet or savory, and the texture is tender and crisp, every time.
I want to make sure you can use this crust in all of your favorite recipes, so I am providing instructions for unbaked crusts:
Par-baked crusts (a 10-minute blind bake ):
And also fully-baked crusts, for cream pies and the like:
The crust works best with coconut oil, ghee or butter. It is such a versatile crust that I decided to try it with a neutral vegetable oil (avocado oil). It was acceptable, but definitely not as good; the texture is less tender and the crust seemed slightly greasy. In short, I would advise against it.
Subbing other nut or seed flours for the almond flour is another matter. Use hazelnut, pecan, walnut, or pepita, they will all work beautifully in place of the almond flour!
If you like, add spices and/or a hint of sweetness to the crust for sweet fillings, or finely chopped herbs or savory spices for savory fillings. Have fun experimenting, and let me know what you make!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs OR 2 flax eggs (see recipe notes)
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, unsalted butter, or ghee, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour and salt, breaking up any lumps.
- Add the eggs and oil to bowl, stirring until completely combined.
- Press dough evenly in bottom and sides of an 8-inch or 9-inch pie pan or tart tin.
- Unbaked Crust: the crust is ready for use in recipes calling for an unbaked crust. It can also be loosely covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to fill and bake.
- Par-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 2 or 3 times with fork (to release steam). Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for par-baked crust.
- Fully-baked Crust: Prick the bottom of crust 2 or 3 times with fork (to release steam). Bake in preheated oven for 23 to 27 minutes until light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and use in recipes calling for fully-baked crust.
Nutrition for Vegan Version: The recipe calculations were done for the ghee & real eggs version. Here are the nutrition facts for the vegan version (i.e., flax eggs & coconut oil) For each ⅛ portion of crust: Calories: 141 Fat: 11.6 g Sat Fat: 7 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 84 mg Carbs: 5.8 g Fiber: 3.6 g Sugars: 0.8 g Protein: 1.2 g