Feel free to double or triple the recipe; leftovers can be cooled and stored in the refrigerator, then reheated in a minute or so for a quick breakfast.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flake coconut
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–1/2 cups coconut milk beverage ( NOT canned! In tetra packs like this)
- 1 cup water
- Optional: (1) Sweetener of choice (e.g., honey, maple syrup, stevia, natural cane sugar), and (2) Dark chocolate chips or chunks
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, toast the coconut until golden brown and fragrant. Transfer to a small dish.
- In the same saucepan, over medium heat, toast the amaranth, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add salt, coconut milk, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 35 minutes or until very smooth and creamy and a lot (but not all) of the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve in two bowls, sprinkled with the toasted coconut and (optional) sweetener and/or chocolate.
- Category: Breakfast, Hot Cereal
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 119 mg
- Fat: 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.8 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg