On any given Monday, I am invariably (a) rushed, and (b) famished. Make that FAMISHED. It does not matter how organized I am Sunday night, or what mass quantities of delightful foods I have consumed in the previous 48 hours, these remain truisms when Monday morning arrives.
Raise your hand if you often/always feel the same.
Raise your other hand if you need some fluffy, almost effortless pancakes to set everything right!
Light and fluffy is just the beginning of attributes for these pancakes. They are also:
*Freezable (make now, defrost and eat later)
*Quite possibly the easiest pancakes you have ever made.
When I say easy, I mean it. No matter how frazzled your morning, you can make this batter in seconds. Everything goes into the blender for a high-speed whirl, then heat the grill, pour the batter, and pancakes are made. A cinch!
You very likely have all of the ingredients on hand, so making a batch requires no searches or esoteric ingredients–always important when you are both rushed and ravenous. And while you are welcome to throw a banana into the blender, I have kept the basic recipe here banana-free. I am all for bananas in recipes, but not in every recipe, and when it comes to pancakes, I prefer sweetness on top (fruit! maple syrup!) rather than inside.
Last, these tender pancakes will satisfy and nourish you all morning long, even if you woke up feeling like you could eat your bedspread. Thank the whole grain oats for that.
I hope that it goes without saying (but here I am, saying it anyway), that you can stir in all kinds of tasty bits and bobs once the batter is made, such as miniature dark chocolate chips, blueberries, spices, flaxseed meal, and hemp hearts. Yes, please!
Here’s to a fine and full start to the week!
- 1-1/3 cups nondairy milk (e.g., cashew milk or almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Cooking spray or oil or the griddle/skillet
- Toppings o choice (e.g., maple syrup, fruit, etc).
- Place all of the ingredients in the blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 20-40 seconds, depending on your blender .
- Heat a griddle (or large skillet) over medium heat; lightly grease with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Drop batter onto the griddle (about ¼ cup per pancake). Once multiple bubbles appear on the surface, flip pancakes and cook for 30-60 seconds longer. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing griddle each time. Serve with your favorite toppings!