Whole grain amaranth breakfast treats that are vegan, flourless, gluten-free, high in fiber, almost 5 g protein, and only 119 calories.
- 1/3 cup (uncooked) amaranth
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup rolled oats (certified GF, as needed), divided use
- 1/4 cup vanilla plant-based (vegan) protein powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dried fruit, chopped
- 1–1/2 tablespoons chia seed, divided use
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray 9 cups of a standard muffin tin.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the amaranth, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes (stir once) until thickened and water is absorbed (it will be thick and porridge-like). Scrape into a medium bowl and stir in the coconut oil and salt until blended. Let cool slightly (or entirely).
- In a food processor, process 3/4 of the oats into a flour. Add the oat flour, remaining 1/4 cup oats, protein powder, coconut sugar, dried fruit and 1 tablespoon of the chia, stirring until well blended (mixture will be thick). Divide equally between prepared cups, flattening and smoothing the tops. Sprinkle with the remaining chia seeds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 26 minutes until golden brown at the edges and tops of bars feel dry. Transfer tin to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes; remove from tin and cool completely.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, refrigerator for 1 week or freezer for 3 months.
- Category: muffins, breakfast, snack
- Serving Size: 1 bar/cookie
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 103.6 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg