Healthy, make-ahead, pumpkin steel cut oats, baked in convenient muffin form! They re naturally vegan, gluten-free, and only 87 calories apiece. Perfect for breakfast on the go!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- water for soaking
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup nondairy milk (or dairy, if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tablespoon whole psyllium husk
- 1–1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup pepitas
- The day before making these, place the oats in a bowl or container and fill with water to cover the oats by about 1/2 an inch. Refrigerate at least 12 hours. When ready to proceed, drain the oats, discarding water.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or spray all 12 cups of a standard size muffin tin (or line with silicone or foil liners for easier removal; paper liners do not hold up well).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the drained oats, pumpkin, milk, sugar, psyllium, spice, and salt until blended.
- Divide mixture evenly between cups (cups will be nearly full). If desired, sprinkle with pepitas.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until tops are golden brown. Cool completely in tin before removing. Serve room temperature, chilled, or re-warmed (microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds).
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Serving Size: 1 oatmeal "muffin"
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fat: 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.7 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 3.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg