I hope this post finds everyone happy and well!
Too often, New Year’s resolutions feel like cruel tricks: exercise in the snow? Salads in mid-winter? Closet organization with a headcold? Crawling under the covers with a beloved book, hot cocoa on the bedside table, has so much more immediate appeal.
So give yourself permission to rest this month, especially if and when your body (or the weather forecast) is giving unequivocal signs to take it easy. It is just as important, if not more, for keeping resolutions for a happy, healthy, balanced you in 2016!
And while I am on the subject of happy, healthy and balanced, might I suggest paying extra attention to post-workout nourishment once you head back to the gym, trails, or basement treadmill? It will ensure that you get the most from your physical efforts.
This simple post-workout drink is ideal. Frugal, delicious and easy, it contains bananas (packed with potassium and magnesium for healthy muscle function), milk (hello, high protein), and a heaping spoonful of oats (complex carbohydrate perfection).
Go ahead and throw oats into almost everything you can this month–really! They are also rich in vitamin B1, a key nutrient for converting carbs into energy for better workouts and performance. I, for one, need all the help I can get in January to perform in any capacity, so bring on the oats! 🙂
To you, and a wonderful 2016!
- 1 cup chilled nonfat milk (or nondairy milk of choice)
- 1 medium banana, peeled, cut into pieces, and frozen
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 3 raw almonds
- Optional add-ins for flavor: ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or drop of almond extract, 2 teaspoons cacao nibs or unsweetened coconut flakes (or both), stevia
- In a blender, process the milk, banana, oats, almonds, and any optional flavorings until completely smooth.
- Serve immediately OR store in a covered container and refrigerate for up to 8 hours (shake well before serving).