Happy New Year, everyone!
Today is the perfect day for sharing a refreshing, nourishing breakfast option: Matcha Green Smoothie Bowls. It will jumpstart your well-being as well as revive your taste buds following the delicious richness of the previous month of holiday treats and meals.
Smoothies are a regular part of my breakfast and snack routine, but I admit I was (initially) lukewarm when I heard abot smoothie bowls from a friend. Why sit down and spoon up what I have been savoring through a straw for so many years?
The simplest answer is this: toppings.
When said friend gushed about topping her smoothie bowls with toasted nuts, seeds, granola, muesli, and chunks of fresh fruit, I got it. For as much as I enjoy the convenience of sipping a smoothie, there are many mornings (and afternoons) when I want to chew! I am sure there are medical anthropologists out there who can speak to the human desire to chew, but suffice to say, I can only drink so much of my food before my hand is reaching for a handful of crackers.
Sitting down with my first official smoothie bowl illuminated the second reason for turning to smoothie bowls: slowing down to eat. Sure, life is busy, Mornings are hectic. But given (or creating) the opportunity to set a place at the table and relish 5 to 10 minutes for breakfast is worth the effort. The food tastes more delicious (perhaps because I am actually tasting it?), my outlook on the day brightens, and, fancy this, I feel satisfied far longer than when I gulp on the go. Thanks, green smoothie bowl, for the reminder.
Now, as for the recipe: options abound, but I was especially inspired by Dana over at the Minimalist Baker. I used her recipe as inital inspiration, then added my own twists and turns, including a dose of bright green matcha (green tea powder). My Januaries need the caffeine boost, among the other nutritional benefits of matcha 🙂 Frozen chunks of mango and apple were my primary forms of sweetness, but you can use what you have on hand. Happy spooning!
- 2 cups (moderately packed) fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup frozen mango chunks
- ½ cup chopped apple (I frozen mine for added thickness)
- ½ of a small Haas avocado
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (more, if needed)
- 1 teaspoon matcha (Japanese green tea powder)
- Optional: sweetener of choice
- Suggested Toppings: nuts, seeds, diced fruit, berries, granola, muesli, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, shredded coconut
- Read more at: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2015/06/02/smoothie-bowls-for-a-smarter-morning/?oc=linkback
- In a blender, process the spinach, mango, apple, avocado, almond milk and matcha until blended, thick and smooth. Add a splash more almond milk if too thick or a few ice cubes if mixture is not thick enough (spoonable). Sweeten to taste, as desired and serve in a bowl topped with any of your favorite toppings!