Eek! Ack! I have no idea how it is the Monday before Thanksgiving, and yet the calendar insists it is so.
I have a terrible habit of posting holiday-themed recipes AFTER the holiday, but not this time! The posts in the next few days will be brief, true, but chock full of delicious eats all the same.
First up, my Blueberry Not-Cornbread.
This is a riff on the Not-Cornbread recipe from my new book, The Chickpea Flour Cookbook. It tastes like cornbread, but it is free of corn, grains, and gluten. I was working on a recipe idea for the book (verdict: fail!), but what I ended up with was something unexpected and so much better: a newfangled, but still easy way to make “cornbread” sans corn.
My husband and son confirmed my initial, corny impressions of my (delightfully) wayward experiment. While the bread was cooling, they walked into the kitchen and exclaimed “cornbread!”
I confess, my husband tasted the difference when he took a nibble (he is a Southerner, after all) but said it was very close (so much so that he was initially incredulous when I told him it was free of corn). Nick, however, was none the wiser, and gobbled his buttered piece of not-cornbread in seconds.
I’ve given variation tips for making the plain version, but this blueberry version, with a hint of sweet from maple syrup, is pretty special. Eat it out of hand, or serve a wedge for breakfast with some extra maplesyrup drizzled over the top.
- 1–1/2 cups (180 grams) chickpea flour
- 2–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée (not pie filling
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup blueberries
- Optional: granulated pure cane sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch cast iron pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, pumpkin, and maple syrup well blended.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Stir in blueberries. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. If desired, sprinkle top with a bit of sugar.
- Bake for 23 to 28 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 pieces to serve.
Plain Not-Cornbread: Omit the blueberries, reduce the maple syrup to 1 tablespoon and increase milk to 3/4 cup.
Tips: (1) Use any oil you like in place of the coconut oil (e.g., melted butter, melted ghee, or olive oil); (2) Use any plain milk that you like, dairy or nondairy.
- Category: Bread
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 102 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg