Happy Tuesday, everyone!
It’s finally rain-free so it took less will-power than usual to get out the door and onto the road for a long run.
Still, there’s nothing wrong with some added incentive to (quite literally) go the extra mile.
For example, chocolate.
I’m not kidding about these muffins providing extra stamina. Teff, an ancient, tiny grain from Northeast Africa, is renowned for the energy it supplies. It is estimate that Ethiopians and Eritreans get about 2/3 of their dietary protein from teff (it has 7 g protein per 1/4 cup dry teff), and long-distance runners from Ethiopia and Eritrea credit their energy, health, and athletic prowess to the grain.
If that does not sell you, these muffins will. Teff flour works especially well in partnership with bold spices, molasses and chocolate.
- 1–3/4 cups teff flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1–2/3 cups mashed banana (about 4 to 5 large ripe bananas–mash and measure)
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar OR coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Optional: chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 18 cups of two 12-count standard muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the teff flour, arrowroot, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the flaxseed meal and warm water; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Mix in the banana, brown sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stirring until blended. Add the chocolate and/or nuts, if using.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 13 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in tin for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Category: Muffins, Bread, Breakfast
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 133 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.3 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 21 mg