- 1 cup oat flour (purchased, or grind oats in food processor)–GF, if needed
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats–GF, if needed
- 1/3 cup natural cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 2–1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg (see vegan option below)
- 2 tbsp milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 1–1/4 cups chopped fresh pears (peeled or unpeeled–not too fine!)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in coconut oil until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and milk. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just blended; fold in pears.
- Turn dough out onto a surface lightly dusted with oat flour. Gently pat into two 6-inch circles, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each circle into 6 wedges and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 22 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Transfer scones to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or let cool completely.
Vegan Option: Use nondairy milk (e.g., almond, coconut, etc.). For the egg, use a flax egg: Mix 1-1/2 tbsp flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds) with 3 tbsp warm water, let stand 5 minutes to thicken, then use in place of the egg.
Storage Tip: Store the cooled scones in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Category: Scone, Breakfast, Quick Bread