Apparently there was a time when my only uses for chickpeas were hummus and salads.
Oh, the naivete of youth.
These days chickpeas have been making it into almost everything I make and bake, from cookies, to sweet dips to power bars, and of course soups, stews and tagines. I love their creamy texture and incredible versatility, and one morning–umm, that would be last Tuesday morning–it hit me: why not add them to my morning oatmeal?
My lightbulb of inspiration came in part from a reader and fellow runner (Gina!) who asked me for some easy, vegan breakfast ideas that DON’T include protein powder. I had some savory chickpea and chickpea flour ideas floating around my noggin, so when I prepared a bowl of of oatmeal, ZING! I knew exactly what I was going to stir in.
So, the answer to your burning question: does this taste like oatmeal hummus? Not in the least. The mashed chickpeas just make this cereal taste extra hearty, and perhaps a bit nutty. Add your favorite toppings as usual, and trust me, this bowl of goodness will keep you satisfied all morning long.
One warning: eating this oatmeal will make you feel smug. Even more so if you add a crowning sprinkle of flaxseeds and some fresh fruit.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup rolled old-fashioned oats (GF if needed)
- ¼ cup rinsed, drained canned chickpeas, finely mashed
- Optional Flavor Stir-Ins:
- Splash of vanilla extract, pinch of ground cinnamon or other spice, pinch of fine sea salt
- Suggested Toppings:
- Chopped fruit or berries
- Dried fruit
- Ground flax seeds, chopped nuts or seeds
- Dairy or non-dairy milk
- Sweetener of choice (e.g., maple syrup, natural scene sugar, coconut sugar)
- Stovetop: Bring the water and oats to a boil in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until oats are soft and mixture is thickened. Stir in mashed chickpeas and any flavor stir-ins (if using); let stand 1 minute, Spoon into a bowl and serve with suggested toppings, as desired.
- Microwave: Combine the water and oats microwave-safe bowl. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 3-1/2 minutes until oats are soft and mixture is thickened. Stir in mashed chickpeas and any flavor stir-ins (if using); let stand 1 minute, Spoon into a bowl and serve with suggested toppings, as desired.