Happy Saturday, everyone!
I hope that it’s blossoms, birds singing and sunshine in your neck of the woods; it certainly is the case here in Texas. We had a tumultuous thunderstorm last night (including loss of power for much of the night; love flossing my teeth in the dark). But the upside? All the yellow-green pollen that’s been coating my car, throat and eyeballs has been blown away to reveal a sparkling, spanking clean morning.
And I’m ready for a run!
I’m taking Nick to a kite festival around noon, so it’s a mad dash to make and eat breakfast, clean up (i.e., shove items in dishwasher), run, shower, and locate and untangle kites. I love Saturday morning baked goods, but there’s no time, plus Nick and Kevin have already eaten. Solution? My 2-Minute protein mug muffin.
If you have protein powder in the pantry, this is a great alternative to a smoothie; some mornings I’m just in the mood to chew. And this is so much better than many store-bought protein bars, which are very often full of junk ingredients, such as low-quality proteins, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives. This quick muffin offers an easy (and delicious) alternative (plus you can spread it with jam or marmalade :)). Or you can add in a tablespoon or two of…just about anything, from chocolate chips to diced fruit to chopped nuts.
Seize the Saturday!
Just plop everything in a mug (give the mug a spritz of nonstick spray first).
Mix it up until smooth (the protein powder may clump a bit at first; just keep whisking, it breaks up after a few seconds). Then microwave! Easy peasy. Eat it right out of the mug or transfer to a plate. You can even save it for later (place in an airtight container or bag).
Don’t forget to enter my book giveaway! Enter here: Win 1 of 10 Copies of my book, 250 Best Microwave Meals in a Mug! You have until April 1!
- ¼ cup all-natural vanilla whey protein powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt (optional)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup mashed very ripe banana (applesauce also works)
- 1 tbsp milk (dairy or nondairy)
- Spray inside of a large mug with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add all of the ingredients to mug. Stir with a fork until very well blended.
- Microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes (checking at 1) or until center is just set. Let cool slightly or entirely in mug.
- Eat directly from mug or gently remove to a small plate.