This cozy breakfast bake has magical powers.
It has the ability to make you feel warm, cozy and spoiled as you eat it (perfect for a lazy, chilly Sunday morning) yet leaves you feeling energized, satisfied, and ready to tackle the day (e.g., running with friends, biking with the kids, or attacking that looming mountain of laundry).
Further, while this casserole is reminiscent of baked oatmeal (which is typically bound with eggs), it is grain-free, vegan, gluten-free and high in protein.
If that’s not magic, what is?
(Umm…did I mention how quick and easy it is, too?)
The enchantment stems from a short list of power ingredients–coconut flour, bananas, natural cane or coconut sugar, ground flax seeds and coconut milk–which combine to make an irresistible breakfast brunch that is slightly soft and pudding-like while still warm, but can be cut into bars once completely cooled and chilled.
I’ve added dried fruit and an assortment of seeds, but you can add up to a cup of fresh berries (e.g., blueberries or raspberries), additional diced firm-ripe bananas or diced mango.
Now, please excuse me, I have more fluff reading to savor before heading out for a run. Enjoy!
Despite the newfangled, grain-free combination of ingredients, this baked porridge has plenty of old-fashioned, comfort-food appeal.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full-fat, well-stirred)
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 6 tbsp ground flax seeds (flaxseed meal)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or natural cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1–1/2 cups blueberries
- Optional: 1 cup of fresh fruit or 1/3 cup dried fruit
- Optional: 3 to 4 tbsp seeds or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F; Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) square metal baking pan with coconut oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, water, banana, flax seeds, coconut flour, coconut sugar, vanilla and salt until blended. Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken. Stir in baking powder until well blended; gently fold in fruit, if using,
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with seeds or nuts, if using.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until set at the center and golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut into servings and serve warm.
- (Alternatively, cool completely, cut into bars or squares, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Serve cold, room temp, or rewarm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds).
- Serving Size: 1/9 of recipe
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 10.8 g
- Sodium: 55 mg
- Fat: 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.2 g
- Fiber: 8.2 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg