It’s been a stressful week of deadlines and demonstrations, culminating in a funeral. Thank goodness for wonderful family and friends. And jellybeans.
Now it’s Monday, and my to-do list is miles long. My first order of business: change the numbers on my list into bullet points. Who needs an exact count of to-dos, anyway? Not me, diary.
What I do need is a hearty breakfast. Oats are calling my name, but its not a mush kind of morning; it’s a chocolate chip muffin one. Lucky me, I finally figured out a 2-minute double oat muffin the other week. I’ve been working on a microwave oat muffin for a few weeks (multiple bombs along the way; some were quite frightening, diary), and then I struck gold with my proportions. It is pretty spectacular, if an oat bran muffin can be spectacular (yes, it can, and this one is). The texture is tender yet toothsome (thanks, oat bran) and the sweetness is spot on without any added sugar, just mashed ripe banana and a smidge of stevia sweetener.
This little-oat-bran-muffin-that-could (and can) would be wonderful with any kind of fruit (fresh or dried) or plain as can be (well, maybe a big schmear of jam…) But with just a couple teaspoons of miniature chocolate chips it is everything I want and need to start this week on the right footing.
Here’s to a good week. Not great, nor grand, just uneventful and good. I may make one of these muffins every morning to help clinch it.
- 3 tablespoons uncooked oat bran cereal
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats (quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
- 1 packet stevia or stevia-blend sweetener (e.g., Turvia or Purevia)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons mashed very ripe banana
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large mug, whisk the oat bran, oats, stevia, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until combined. Add the egg, banana, and vanilla; stir until well-blended. Smooth top of batter and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute and 20 to 30 seconds until the center is just set. Let cool at least two minutes before eating, or cool entirely. Remove muffin from mug and enjoy!