Look for wheat germ in the cereal aisle of the supermarket; it’s typically shelved above the oats (the leading brands, Kretschmer and Mother’s, are both owned by Quaker Oats). Click HERE to see what the jar looks like. Most store will also shelve some in the health food section.
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons mashed VERY RIPE banana
- 1 packet Truvia or stevia
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- about 8–12 blueberries (depending on size)
- Spray a 12-oz capacity mug (or small bowl) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the wheat germ, baking powder and salt. Add the egg, banana, Truvia and vanilla; mix until very well blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared cup; sprinkle with the blueberries (some of the berries will sink as the muffin cooks).
- Microwave on regular HIGH setting for 1 minute and 20 to 30 seconds (check at 1 minute 20) or until center is just set. Let cool slightly or entirely. Eat up!
- Category: breakfast, muffin, snack
- Serving Size: entire recipe
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 8.1
- Sodium: 75 g
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 13 g