Apparently, that’s only the beginning.
Witness the 2-minute muffin for one. This one is all-flax (flourless), gluten-free, freakishly easy, and remarkably awesome in taste, texture and overall deliciousness.
I am typically ravenous when I return from teaching my early morning exercise classes, a state that is amplified further because I spend another 45 minutes showering, dressing, getting Nick fed and dresses, cuddling with Nick, kissing Kevin, and swilling my first cup of coffee of the day (ok, coffee often comes first in this list). Once this list is ticked off, I need serious food, and this muffin delivers.
This makes a huge and hearty muffin, akin to the jumbo muffins in the coffee store case. In contrast, these are absent the heaps of refined sugar, refined flour, and fat. Honestly, one half of a muffin (slathered with some of my favorite plum jam), left me happily full, and that is
a rarity virtually unheard of for me; I saved the second half for my second breakfast (yes, I eat a second breakfast around 10:30). It was equally awesome after several hours.
I’ve sweetened the muffins with liquid stevia, but you can use the sweetener of your choice (about 1-2 tablespoons of liquid sweetener, like honey or maple syrup, or natural cane sugar, or even a mix of stevia and your favorite natural sugar); remember, you can always make them sweeter later by spreading with a bit of jam, or drizzling with honey.
The add-ins are endlessly variable–I added some raisins, cinnamon and chia seeds–or leave them out. Lemon zest, orange zest, or almond extract would be great subs for the vanilla, and, as you can imagine, a tablespoon of chocolate chips is a brilliant choice (I suggest mini chips, or giving regular-size chips a chop for even distribution).
You know you want one, and given that it takes 30 seconds to mix and 1 and 1/2 minutes to make, I think now is the perfect time!
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons milk or plain nondairy milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon liquid stevia (see note about other sweeteners)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1-1/2 tablespoons dried fruit, chocolate chips, seeds, nuts (I used 1 tablespoon raisins, 2 teaspoons chia seeds for this photo)
- In a small bowl, whisk the flaxseed meal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.Add the milk, egg, stevia and vanilla; whisk, or beat with a fork, until blended and smooth. Stir in any add-ins as desired.
- Spray a 12-oz mug or microwave-safe bowl with nonstick cooking spray; spoon in the batter.
- Cook in microwave (on regular HIGH setting) for 1-1/2 minutes until puffed and set at the center. Invert onto a plate or cooling rack; cool 2 minutes, then enjoy!
Size Matters! (for the mug): Be sure to use a 12-oz mug (or larger)--the muffin puffs significantly!