I’ve been on a protein powder bender since the new year for a number of reasons. Most of the reasons are tied to training for upcoming fitness adventures, but another is that I’ve discovered how a turbo protein boost in the morning energizes me and keeps me satisfied. I am a notorious nibbler (and an unapologetic one at that), but sometimes I need to hunker down and get a lot of work done–a challenge when I am getting up and down for yet another snack. I suppose I could ask Kevin to construct a pantry right on my desk, but for now I’m eating a bowl of double-protein Greek yogurt.
Plain Greek yogurt, with its extra-high protein content and velvety texture, tops my list of morning (and mid-morning, and lunch, and teatime, and dessert) favorites, even more so when a drizzle of honey or lush berry topping is involved. So when a friend suggested adding some protein powder to my beloved breakfast bowl I was both excited and dubious. But she made promises of a vanilla custard taste and texture, as well as some allusions to Wonder Woman, so I gave it a whirl.
The results are lovely. I used all natural vanilla whey protein and it created a thick, creamy, custard-y dish of yum. The protein powder I used is naturally sweetened with stevia; it was just sweet enough for me, especially when I topped off my bowl with raspberries; adjust the sweetness to your taste. You can certainly use an unsweetened powder, too, and add all of the sweetener of your choice. Alas, no Wonder Woman powers materialized, but I did conquer 3 loads of laundry and a complete filing system overhaul with no thought of snacks as I toiled. Kapow!
A word of caution: I experimented with the vanilla vegan protein powder I had on hand. Oy vey. You do not want to do this. Save the vegan protein powder for vegan concoctions.
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup all-natural sweetened vanilla whey protein powder (I used this one)
- Optional: additional sweetener, fresh or frozen (thawed) berries
- In a medium bowl, whisk the Greek yogurt until smooth. Gradually whisk in the protein powder (do not add all at once or you may get clumps). Taste the yogurt and add more sweetener ( e.g., stevia, honey, agave nectar, maple syrup) to taste.
- Transfer to a lovely serving bowl and serve immediately, plain, or topped with berries.