Muffins will always be a perfect snack or breakfast on the go, and this interpretation of pumpkin muffins provides a healthy new twist. Rather than relying on traditional wheat flour, these muffins are made with coconut flour. Coconut flour is naturally grain-free, gluten-free, nutritious (think high fiber and low carb), plus, it has a natural, subtle sweetness, which allows you to keep an added sugars low.
Feel free to swap in an equal amount of squash or carrot puree to replace the pumpkin, or use honey or coconut palm sugar in place of the maple syrup.
The one element of this recipe that cannot be varied is the eggs. Egg substitutes, such as chia eggs or flax eggs, will not work here (I’ve tried and tried!); it’s just the nature of coconut flour, it needs the volume and structure that eggs provide in order to work in quick bread recipes such as this.
Despite tasting sweet and rich, these lovely muffins have just 111 calories apiece, and will keep you feeling happy and full for hours! Happy baking, everyone!Print
Grain-free, healthy pumpkin muffins made with coconut flour! They are easy, delicious, and nutritious.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or oil of choice)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 10 cups of a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until blended. Whisk in the pumpkin, coconut oil, maple syrup and vinegar. Add the coconut flour mixture, stirring until blended.
- Divide batter evenly between lined muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes until puffed and surface appears dry. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely in pan.
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for 3 months.
- Category: Muffins, Bread, Brekafast
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 157 mg
- Fat: 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg