I love a blog post that requires little explanation, and this is just such an instance.
Born and raised in Mississippi
Longing for grandmother’s red velvet cake
Please??? Is it even possible???
Yes! (I think…)
Here goes nothing
Best red velvet cake ever
Easy-peasy. The batter is mixed and in the pans in about 5 minutes flat. Take that, Betty CrockerNick loved the batter. He asked if I was making blood cake. He is such a boy. Because it has no raw eggs, I let him unabashedly lick the bowl and spatula.
|These layers came out so perfectly; makes me blush with pride 🙂|
|Among the many things I love about red velvet cake: extremely moist cake layers!|
|This recipe produces particularly uniform, crumb-free layers, making them a breeze to frost (no experience required)|
|Is there anything better than a homemade birthday cake?|
- Two 9-inch (23 cm) round metal baking pans, greased and floured
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar or evaporated cane juice
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa power (not Dutch process--it will alter color of cake)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-3/4 cups plain nondairy milk (e.g., soy, hemp, almond, rice; not reduced fat varieties)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp white or cider vinegar
- ¼ cup red food coloring (use natural, like Chefmaster made from plant extracts)
- Non-Dairy Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- 2 cups assorted berries (optional)
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 2 8-oz containers Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup vegan margarine, softened (I recommend Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add non-dairy milk, oil, food coloring, and vanilla to flour mixture and stir until just blended. Whisk in vinegar until just blended.
- Immediately pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Run a knife around edge of pans, then invert cakes onto rack to cool completely.
- Place one cake layer, flat side up, on a cake plate or platter. Spread ¾ cup of the frosting evenly over bottom layer. Top with the second cake layer, flat side down. Spread the remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. If desired, arrange berries decoratively on top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat confectioner’s sugar, cream cheese, margarine and vanilla until smooth and creamy (do not overbeat). Use immediately.