TGIF, everyone! I hope it is as gorgeous where you are as it is here in Texas.
I wasn’t sure if I would have time to post today due to my work schedule (combined with staying up too late last night watching Project Runway). But I am enjoying being back in a regular posting mode, so I am able to squeeze in a recipe before I head off to pick up Nick from kindergarten.
As you can tell from my recent posts, I am on a quinoa kick; I purchased an abundance of it–white, red, and a bit of black, too–last time we were in Houston. I lose a considerable amount of self-reserve in the bulk foods section at Central Market (one of the best sections anywhere–and I am a lifelong frequenter of bulk foods sections!).
On this past trip, Kevin took one look at my overflowing basket of various bags of dried goods (he and Nick usually wander off for awhile–a long while–as I peruse the bins and scoop away) and asked if I was preparing for the coming apocalypse (it just happens to be one of his areas of expertise in world literature).
No, just preparing for revelations, such as this filling, nourishing, and soooo-delicious broccoli, black bean and quinoa salad.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp finely grated lime zest
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground coriander
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water, quinoa, and ½ tsp fine sea salt to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer 14 to 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. Uncover the pan and place the broccoli on top of the quinoa. Recover pan and let stand 5 minutes.
- Uncover pan and fluff the quinoa and broccoli with a fork and spread onto a baking sheet to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk the llime zest, llime juice, olive oil, chili powder, cumin, and coriander. Add the cooled quinoa-broccoli mixture, black beans and cilantro. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.