As promised in an earlier post, I’m sharing the energy bars I made this past Sunday. Apologies for the delay, I’ve been under the weather. Running errands in another surreal day of snow yesterday (it’s not supposed to snow here!) exacerbated the situation. But it is gloriously sunny morning, and I’m feeling extra-energized after eating one of these yummy bars and slurping some hot masala chai.
The enrgy in these energy bars comes from real food: no fillers, no additives, nothing weird or un-pronounceable. Instead, they are limited to seeds, nuts, and fruit.
Although similar in texture to LARA bars (soft), these bars have more crunch due to the greater proportion of nuts and seeds relative to fruit. You can vary the dried fruits to your heart’s content, but I recommend keeping the dates as they work so well to hold everything together.
A healthy bonus: the sweetness in the bars comes naturally (dried fruit and orange juice), so no post-nibble sugar-rush, only energy and satisfaction. Take that, store-bought energy bars!
I am confident you will love them as much as I do.
I’ll be up and running around the kitchen later, so more deliciousness to come. Stay tuned!
Isn’t real food pretty?
- 1 cup whole raw almonds with skins
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup dates
- ½ cup prunes
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup pepitas (raw green pumpkin seeds)
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line an 8x8-inch square pan with parchment or foil; lightly spray with oil.
- Place the almonds, apricots, dates, and prunes in a food processor; pulse a few times until coarsely chopped. Add orange juice and salt; pulse until mixture starts to stick together. Add pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, pulsing a few times just to incorporate.
- Scoop mixture into prepared pan. Using a large square of wax paper or plastic wrap, evenly press mixture into pan, using your palms to flatten.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.. Use ends of foil to lift bars from pan. Cut into 8 bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.