Hi everyone! I hope you are enjoying the final days of summer! We are here in Texas. Although, who am I kidding, it is going to feel like summer (heat & humidity-wise) for at least 2 more months. Still, I love the end of summer feeling, including final trips to the pool, bbq with friends, and a more relaxed pace of living.
Up for today: a recipe for simplicity and re-energizing. One of the pitfalls of writing a food blog is getting caught up in the race to invent something new and exciting. But new and exciting isn’t practical the majority of the time. So often it’s the simple tweaks to the familiar that are most satisfying, so that’s what I am offering today, specifically in the form of a portable, power wrap filled with lemony spinach, sliced avocado and goat cheese.
This wrap was inspired by a salad I ate at while visiting family in California (home!) the other week. It was so simple and good, loaded with fresh greens, chunks of creamy California avocados, locally produced goat cheese and a Meyer lemon vinaigrette. I was in heaven. And inspired: the ingredients were familiar, yet the combination fresh and gratifying.
To make the combination convenient for lunch on the go, and/or while juggling a toddler, I turned the ensemble into a wrap.
I’ve been reading more and more about the benefits of avocados in relation to exercise and training, lately, so definitely think about these wraps as as fitness fuel! Fats are not the enemy, and, I can attest, leave you feeling satisfied for a long time. Moreover, the fat in avocados is overwhelmingly healthy, monounsaturated fats. Great for your skin and hair, too!
I have been eating avocados after long runs, especially, because they are very high in potassium (about 35% more than bananas). They also have other electrolytes (calcium and magnesium) which are super-important for replenishing after a long, sweaty workout (as the queen of sweaty-ness, this is a big deal for me :)).
Happy gnoshing, everybody!
- 5 packed cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 6-inch (whole wheat tortillas
- 4 oz mild creamy goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 large, firm-rip avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- In a medium bowl, toss the spinach with the lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide spinach mixture between tortillas. Top with cheese and avocado, dividing evenly. Roll up like burritos, enclosing filling, or like jelly rolls (ends open).