February is finally here, and I’m glad of it.
Yes, these are the same chia seeds that are used to make the ch-ch-ch-chia pets, but they are also a sensational power food that is high in protein, can be used as a vegan egg replacement (it forms a gel-like consistency when mixed with liquids), is great in baked goods (add it along with other nuts and seeds; I love it in place of poppy seeds), or, for making this unique pudding.
I think you will agree with me that chocolate is ideal starting point for the flavor options. This is deeply chocolate in flavor thanks to an ample dose to cocoa powder (feel free to add some chocolate shavings on top once the pudding is set).
I’ve used stevia for sweetness, but you can use the sweetener of your choice–maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, etc–to taste. The texture will remind you of tapioca pudding, but you can also puree the pudding (beore sets) until it is very smooth to yield a smooth pudding.
Ok, there is yet more great news to share: this pudding is ridiculously easy to make.
You can make it without any cooking at all by mixing the seeds with milk, sweetener, and the flavorings of your choice, then leaving it to gel overnight in the refrigerator. But if you, like me, sometimes need (demand!) pudding in a hurry, I’ve also got a quick cook method (i.e., warm the milk on the stovetop) that decreases the start to finish & eat time to about an hour.
No matter where you are headed, if you have some containers of this pudding waiting in the refrigerator, I am certain you will want to reverse your steps to spoon it up.Print
- 1–3/4 cups nondairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 5 to 6 packets stevia (see notes for other options)
- Optional flavor enhancements: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom
- In a medium saucepan, heat the nondairy milk over medium heat until very hot but not boiling. Whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until blended and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds, stevia, and additional flavorings (if using). Divide between 4 small serving containers and chill or abut 1 hour until cold and firm. Eat!
Overnight version: Blend all of the ingredient in a blender until smooth; transfer to serving containers and chill overnight.
- Category: Dessert, Snack