High protein pasta made with broccoli, spinach, white beans and walnuts. It is easy, frugal, and vegan.
- 1 12 ounces farfalle pasta (or other medium-size pasta shape)
- 4 cups bite-size broccoli florets (from 1 small head broccoli)
- 1/2 cup canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- large pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach (thawed), squeezed of excess liquid
- 2/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Optional: vegan or regular grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until broccoli rabe is tender-crisp and pasta is al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Return pasta mixture to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, process the beans, broth, yeast, garlic and pepper flakes until completely smooth; set aside.
- To the pasta mixture, add bean mixture, spinach and walnuts. If necessary, stir in enough of the reserved pasta water to moisten. Serve sprinkled with cheese, if desired.
* For the white beans, you could use Great Northern beans, cannellini beans or white navy beans.
* If the pasta you’re using takes less or more than 8 minutes to cook, adjust the total cooking time according to the package directions and add the broccoli rabe for the last 3 to 4 minutes.
- Category: Dinner, Entree, Pasta