It’s been a whirlwind of a day, so much so that I can’t quite recall what happened to get me to this point of sitting here, composing a blog entry. Waking up in the middle of the night for the sweet baby has left me more than a little bit sleepy, plus I taught an hour spin class this morning (mama…needs…coffee…)
But I am certain of one thing, and that’s the deliciousness of my vegetable-breakfast offering for today: this absolutely scrumptious pumpkin spread!
So easy to make–4 ingredients, 2 minutes– it is the perfect topping for toast, muffins, bagels, apple slices, fingertips—you name it. I’ve also been known to eat it straight from the spoon at about 1 in the morning (my policy: if baby is having a late feeding, so am I).
All that you need to make this creamy dip/spread are:
(1) canned, unsweetened pumpkin puree
(2) smooth almond butter (or any nut butter or seed butter you prefer or have on hand)
(3) pumpkin pie spice (or ground cinnamon)
(4) a touch of maple syrup (or the liquid sweetener of your choice)
Mix them up in a bowl or food processor, and you’re done! You can add a touch of stevia for additional sweetness, but I think it is perfect as it is. It is entirely up to you, though!
Almond butter gives me a great boost (protein + healthy fats) to propel my workout, even while still getting up in the middle of the night, but it’s great to mix it up, both literally and figuratively.
Pumpkin is quite the superfood, too, because of its nutrient density (notably fiber and vitamin A)—so all in all, this is one heck of a healthy gnosh to start off the day, even if the start of the day begins at 2 in the morning! It’s a fantastic snack, too.
Happy eats, everyone!Print
- 2/3 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 1–2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or ground cinnamon)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients until well blended and smooth. Store in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Category: Spread, Dip
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 26 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.1 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg