[Post #54 for 365 days of Vegan, Gluten-Free, Portable Power Pucks]
Oh my oh my. You are going to LOVE these: tender, fluffy soda bread minis, made vegan, grain-free and gluten-free.
It’s all made possible with chickpea flour, which does the usual job of grain flour, but also functions as an egg replacement. It’s simply a great ingredient.
And while you can make these plain, you might want to consider adding my “everything bagel” topping–poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried onion bits and coarse salt–especially if you have given up bagels (fyi: you can make these in a donut mold pan, if you have one, to replicate the bagel shape :)).
Soda bread is one of the easiest breads you can make–no yeast, no fancy ingredients, no kneading–and this chickpea version is no different in that regard. But in one regard it is even easier. Soda bread is a quick bread, which means you need to be careful not to overmix the batter, which leads to overdeveloped gluten and a tough texture. No such worry with chickpea flour, since there is no gluten. So you can mix like crazy and the resulting breads will still be light and tender.
The only thing you need to take care with is prepping the muffin tin and preheating the oven before you mix the batter. The baking soda begins to work as soon as you mix the dry and liquid ingredients together, so as soon as you mix, get these in the oven asap. Otherwise, your breads will not reach their full height and they will be heavy.
Just look at the interior of this bread–who would have thought this was little more than a hill of beans!
I have made this recipe to yield six breads, but you can double it without any trouble.
These are pretty amazing summer food, alongside a salad for a simple dinner, or packed up for an impromptu picnic. Happy baking and eating, everyone!
- Optional "Everything Bagel" Topping:
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ⅔ cup nondairy milk (I used plain almond milk)
- ½ teaspoon vinegar (neutral one, like white or cider vinegar)
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup (or sweetener of choice, dry or liquid)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Generously grease or spray 6 cups of a standard muffin tin.
- In a small bowl or cup, stir together milk and vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda and salt.
- Add the milk mixture, olive oil, and maple syrup; stir until blended. Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Sprinkle evenly with topping, if using.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 16 minutes until puffed, golden brown ad a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in tin set on a cooling rack (they stick like crazy until they are cool! If you do not want to wait, line the tins with liners instead). Run knife around edge of each cup and remove from tin.