[Post #27 for 365 days of Vegan, Gluten-Free, Portable Power Pucks]
Eat more vegetables.
Eat more plant-based protein.
Eat more fiber.
Eat less sugar.
Eat more omega fatty acids.
Good grief. The mandates can be overwhelming. Especially when you have to be out of the front door by 7 am.
I’m here to help. With carrot cake power pucks. Eat one (or two!) and check off all the items on the list.
These also satisfy the most important breakfast checkpoint: delicious.
These came about with some experimenting with my favorite flour, chickpea flour. In addition to being gluten-free and vegan, these moist, perfectly sweet pucks are also oil-free and nut-free, too. The key is the combination of lots of carrots, unsweetened applesauce, and flaxseed meal.
I added a small amount of raisins, too; I like to chop them up before adding, which allows me to use a small amount while still delivering the sweet bits throughout. You can use any other dried fruit in thier place, or leave them out entirely. I added a sprinkle (only about a teaspoon total; it doesn’t take much) of hemp hearts for a touch of crunch and added beauty; add them or leave them out as you like!
Decadent, frugal, portable, packed with power, this just may be the carrot cake of your power hungry dreams.
Puck on. people!
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped
- Optional: 1-2 teaspoons hemp hearts or seeds of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray 6 cups of a standard size muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the chickpea flour, flaxseed meal, spice, baking powder and salt. Add the applesauce, sugar and vanilla, stirring until well-blended. Stir in the carrots and raisins until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cups, smoothing tops, If desired, sprinkle with hemp hearts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 19 to 23 minutes until centers are springy and just set. Cool on wire rack in tin for 15 minutes. Remove from tin and serve warm or cool completely.
Additional Nutrition Highlights:
*Low in saturated fat
*High in dietary fiber
*High in iron
*High in manganese
*High in phosphorus
*High in thiamin
*Very high in vitamin A
*Very high in vitamin B6