[Post #69 for 365 days of Vegan, Gluten-Free, Portable Power Pucks]
Hi everyone–my apologies for being absent the past few days! I’ve been immersed in little league baseball travel with my son which has been equal parts exhilarating and exhausting (I seem to be drawn to this combination…). Nick’s team won the state championships (whoohoo!) and we just got home from the Dixie League World Series, which just happened to be in my husband’s home town in Arkansas. It was a lot of fun, and though the boys did not win the series, they played extremely well and placed high. And his coaches? The most generous, supportive guys you can imagine.
Somewhat less thrilling was the weather: 114F with the heat index! The bottom of my flip-flops melted. Really. But, after a decade in the South, I am getting used to it, if that’s possible.
Being away from my usual eats, however, can easily throw me off kilter. But not on this trip. One guess as to what I packed (hint: this is the 69th post on the topic).
You guessed it: portable power pucks. I packed multiple options, including these, one of my latest creations: Coconut-Lime Protein Bars.
Unlike 99% percent of protein bars, these have no chocolate coating, so they hold up in the heat ( I don’t know about you, but I can’t do peanut butter and chocolate in scorching weather!) Instead, these are packed with bright, tropical flavor from the lime zest and juice, plus three types of coconut products (oil, flakes and flour).
I’ve loaded these with ample amounts of protein, too; I can attest they sustained me through two types of endurance work: (1) early morning runs (outside was lovely at 5 am!) and (2) watching game after game of little league baseball.
More of the pucks from my trip to come. The loads of laundry are almost complete, so I am back to posting. Happy summer, everyone!
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened flake/shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup vanilla rice protein powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup (or maple syrup, or honey if not vegan)
- Grease or spray 5 cups of a standard size muffin tin.
- In a food processor, process the oats and flake coconut into a fine powder. Add the protein powder, coconut flour, and salt; pulse to combine. Add the applesauce, lime zest, lime juice, coconut oil and syrup; pulse until completely blended, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Divide dough into 5 equal portions; roll each into a ball. Press 1 ball into each prepared cup, tamping down with a measuring cup to flatten. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.