Good morning, everyone! I hope you are off to a great week. It is thundering and pouring rain in my neck of the woods, which has me savoring my cup(s) of coffee all the more.
I ran a half marathon on Sunday morning which was wonderful because it was right here in my town–the route literally goes right past my house. So many friends, family and neighbors come out to cheer, so it’s like a big block party (except for the running–ha!).
I’ve been continually hungry even since the race ended, so lots of cooking is taking place in my kitchen. That includes the making of my favorite new power pancakes. Light and fluffy, they are made with protein- and fiber-rich chickpea flour.
If you are wondering how my pancakes look so perfectly round in this photo, the answer has nothing to do with my skill set and everything to do with my equipment: a Norpro Cast Iron Pancake Pan, a Tovolo Pancake Pen for squeezing out perfect portions of batter, and an OXO Mini Silicone Pancake Turner. No more giant blob pancakes for me! And, perhaps, no more giant blob pancakes for you, either, because I have a giveaway for THREE sets of the exact same tools!
You don’t need the fancy equipment to make these scrumptious pancakes, but if your pancake skills are lacking the way mine are, these make the process all that much easier!
Here’s How To Enter for your Chance at Winning one of THREE pancake pan sets (pan + pen + spatula)
1. Leave a comment at the end of this post telling me any one of the following: What is your favorite pancake recipe (do not include recipe, just name it, e.g., “Russian buckwheat blini” or “Banana pancakes with chocolate chips”) OR favorite pancake stir-in(s) or topping(s).
2. “Like” Power Hungry on Facebook. I need your love! See the facebook box on the left-hand margin (I’m going with the honor system). If you do not belong to Facebook, no problem, you are still welcome to enter! And if you have already “liked” Power Hungry, thank you!
3. Giveaway ends Friday, November 20th, 2015 at 11:59pm PST. US Residents only. Winners will be chosen via Random.org. I’ll post the names here no later than Sunday, 11/22/15 and will notify winners by email. Winners will have 48 hours to respond to my email.
4. Only one entry per person please 🙂
- 2 cups (240 grams) chickpea flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons natural cane sugar or sugar of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray or vegetable oil, for cooking
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Fresh fruit, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs; whisk in the buttermilk, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, whisking until just blended.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spray it with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. For each pancake, pour about ¼ cup batter onto the griddle. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear on top. Turn each pancake over and cook for about 1 minute, until golden brown. Transfer to a heatproof plate and keep warm, covered, in the oven.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the griddle and adjusting the heat as necessary between batches. Serve with maple syrup and (optional) fruit.