Raise your hand if you’ve ever grown weary of sweet power bars, granola bars, energy bars and other such snacks!
I am all about touting the benefits of homemade power bars, but I love the option of something savory that can boost my energy during the afternoon slump.
Enter my 5-minute Chickpea Soup.
Versions of this soups super-simple soup hail from the south of France and other Mediterranean regions, but I decided to make an even easier version that can be made and ready-to-eat in under 5 minutes with a mug and a microwave. It’s cheap, it’s easy, it’s scrumptious, and packs a terrific balance of healthy protein (about 6 grams), fiber (just shy of 5 grams) and healthy fat from a drizzle of olive oil (or pesto).
So skip the expensive, sugary mocha and try this rich and creamy, Provencal-inspired sipper. You can even prep it start-to-finish in the break room. It is everything you want to warm and satisfy you on a chilly day!
- 3-1/2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 mashed garlic clove or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil or prepared pesto
- In a 16-oz microwavable mug or bowl (or mason jar), whisk together chickpea flour, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, and ½ of the broth until blended and smooth. Whisk in remaining broth until blended.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Whisk and let stand for 1 minute. Microwave on HIGH for 60 to 90 seconds longer until very hot but not boiling. Remove from microwave, whisk in lemon zest and juice, and cover with a small plate. Let stand 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with olive oil.