Sweet potatoes–the perfect morning meal! This 4-ingredient meal is fast (prepare the sweet potato in the microwave), delicious, and super-nourishing, all in one fell swoop.
Have sweet potato, will travel.
It’s one of my on-the-road solutions for a portable, power breakfast on the road.
I know, it sounds a bit wacky (welcome to my brain), but it’s something I came up with as an option for an easy, non-perishable breakfast that I can make in a hotel room (so long as I am staying in a hotel room with a microwave).
I pack an unbaked sweet potato, some non-perishable toppings (specifically, nut/seed butter and a container with some chopped dried fruit & seeds), and a fork. I pack these quickly, and with stealth, to avoid seeing a certain husband and/or son rolling their eyes at me :).
It only take 8-12 minutes to cook the sweet potato. It is a supremely satisfying breakfast option, especially if you (like me!) are hungry (make that HANGRY) for carbohydrates first thing in the morning. The high fiber content keeps cravings at bay while simultaneously fueling me up for anything the day may throw at me (like another morning to evening day watching 11 year-olds battle it out on the baseball field).
Talk about a plate full of sunshine, too. The gorgeous color puts me in a good mood (even pre-coffee!).
The color is indicative of the wealth of antioxidants sweet potatoes deliver (beta carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E, too). Sweet potatoes are also ranked as one of the top foods for battling inflammation of all kinds.
I like to add a bit of salt to the potato before adding the toppings, to bring out the natural sweetness to a greater extent, but it’s entirely optional. All that’s left to do is add the toppings and eat! I find that 1 tablespoon of nut butter is just about right for me, but add more if you need/want more protein.
I microwave the nut butter for a few seconds so that I can drizzle it, and disperse it more evenly over the sweet potato.
You don’t have to be in a hotel room to enjoy this quick and easy power breakfast. It makes a perfect weekend breakfast, too, or grab the ingredients and make this at work.
Go and grab some power, everyone!
Making this recipe? I would love to see it!
Instagram: Tag @powerhungycamilla and hashtag #powerhungrycamilla
Facebook: Tag @powerhungyblog and hashtag #powerhungryblog
Twitter: Tag @camillacooks and hashtag #camillacooks
- 1 medium sweet potato, skin scrubbed with water
- fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried fruit (e.g., cranberries, apricots, raisins, cherries)
- 1 tablespoon seeds or finely chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter, warmed (for drizzling)
- Prick the sweet potato all over with a fork. Microwave on HIGH for 8 to 12 minutes (it will depend on size) until very tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the sweet potato on a plate and split open lengthwise (be careful of the steam that will release).Open the potato wide; mash the flesh with a fork and season to taste with salt (if desired).
- Sprinkle the sweet potato with the dried fruit and seeds and then drizzle with the nut butter.
- Eat! And feel powerful 🙂
Oven Alternative: Instead of microwaving the sweet potato, place it in a pie plate or small baking pan. Bake in a preheated 425F oven for about 1 hour until very tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.