[Post #83 for 100 days of Vegan, Gluten-Free, Portable Power Pucks]
Hello, one and all!
Unknown to many, a breakfast of quinoa, blueberries and oats is instant therapy.
Allow me to elaborate.
It is a beautiful day here in Texas, but. alas, began with a stomach-churning morning. When I logged into email in the wee hours of the day, I received a cold, succinct email from my host server informing me that powerhungry.com had been deactivated.
To make matters worse, the call center would not be open for several more hours. Additionally, it was B.C. (before coffee).
I suppressed my screams (husband & child still asleep) and and folded laundry, scrubbed the bathrooms, ironed clothes for church, made beds (after husband and child removed themselves), wrote an outline, answered emails, and a variety of other manic activities to distract myself.
I also made coffee. And breakfast:
It turns out that quinoa, oats and cardamom, plus jammy blueberries (stashed in the freezer from the summer), can turn a topsy-turvy morning right side up. Since the yield is a full dozen, the leftovers are safely stowed in the refrigerator as preemptive crisis aversion Monday, Tuesday, or beyond.
If you are reading this post, then you know the outcome following my connection (following 53 minutes of holding) with my hosting service: powerhungry is (mostly) restored. A few more tweaks and everything should be back in place. Phew.
Enjoy the final sweet hours of the weekend, everyone, and plan on seeing a slew of posts here at powerhungry this week!
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup nondairy milk (I used plain almond)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (or cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups cooked quinoa (see note)
- 1-1/3 cup rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries (or thawed frozen blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, spray or line all 12 cups of a standard muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, milk, syrup, flaxseed meal, cardamom, vanilla, and salt. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken, then stir in the quinoa, oats and baking powder until well-blended.
- Gently stir in the blueberries. Divide mixture evenly between prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and tops look and feel dry to the touch. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool in tin for at least 15 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm or cool completely.
Quinoa: It will take ½ cup uncooked quinoa to yield 1-1/2 cups of cooked quinoa.