I’m pretty sure I don’t need to convince you to eat these cinnamon-sugar donut bites. Tender, cakey, with just the right amount of sweet spice, it’s hard to stop at just one. Or two. Or eleven.
But you’ll want to sprint to the kitchen to make these blissful bites when you read on about what makes them so special.
I get it, these sound too good to be true, right? But they are the real deal.
Coconut flour stars in these donut bites, with a strong supporting role played by chickpea flour. Most coconut flour recipes call for copious quantities of eggs. It’s a tricky flour, unlike any other; take out the eggs, and the results are almost always squishy, gooey, or both.
I’m not sure about you, but I’m not ready for squishy donuts.
Enter chickpea flour. It is a super-amazing replacement for eggs, plus it has the fiber and protein needed to create baked goods that you would swear have both eggs and grains. Hot d**m! They are so good!
Best yet, these donut bites are no mere treat: they are nutrition-packed fuel. I’m talking lean, plant protein, fiber and more fiber, and a bit of healthy fat, too.
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk (see note)
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon sugar (2 tsp coconut sugar + ½ tsp cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray 20 cups of a 24-count mini muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, chickpea flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk in the milk, oil and vanilla until blended. Let stand for 5 minutes (if batter seems to thick, add a bit more milk or water; coconut flours vary in absorbency).
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 16 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Transfer tin to a cooling rack and cool completely in tin. Remove bites from the muffin cups.
Grab your favorite hot drink and power up with some donut bites!