I wrote bout my first foray into smoothie bowls a few weeks ago, and now I cannot get enough. I suppose it has to do, in part, to my love of creamy foods; spooning up silky combinations of fruits, vegetables and high-protein add-ins is just what I crave on most mornings. Spooning, rather than slurping, also slows me down, in a positive way, so that I feel satisfied for a good while before needing any kind of snack.
Like smoothies, smoothie bowls are a great way to both use up random fruits, nuts, vegetables and seeds to make all kinds of innovative flavor (and color!) options–so appealing during these months of gray–as well as set yourself up for a healthy, energized. The clincher, though, is the flavor, and smoothie bowl have plenty.
Take, for example, this kiwi and avocado smoothie bowl I whipped up this morning.
Enriched with healthy fat from the avocado, a whopping dose of fiber (6.7 grams!), a moderate shot of caffeine and antioxidants from the matcha, and more than 6 grams of protein, this is one power-packed breakfast. I didn’t leap any tall buildings in a single bound, but my spin class and run felt pretty spectacular post-spooning.
The polka dotted aspect of this smoothie comes courtesy of kiwis.
Remember kiwis? I love them, but I also go through periods of kiwi forgetfulness. I shouldn’t, because they are everything you want from a superfood: delicious, cheap, available everywhere, and nutrient-dense. With regard to the latter, kiwis are:
- Extremely rich in vitamin C
- High in fiber (about 2.3 grams per fruit!)
- A good source of folate, potassium, carotenoids, polyphenols, chlorophyll, glutathione and pectin.
- A FANTASTIC and notable source of Vitamin E because, while most sources of E vitamins (e.g., nuts, oils and seeds) are high in both fat and calories, kiwis are virtually fat free (0.4 grams per fruit) and have 46 calories apiece.
Now get to blending and eating! You have a lot of delicious work ahead 🙂
- ½ of a small Hass avocado
- 2 large kiwis, peeled
- ½ large banana, peeled sliced and frozen
- ½ cup nondairy or dairy milk
- (optional) 1-2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, or toppings of choice
- Place the avocado, kiwis, banana and milk in a blender; process until completely smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a drizzle more milk until thinner but still thick enough to spoon up from bowl.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with walnuts, or any topping you like, if desired. Serve immediately.