Good morning, everyone! I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and, if you traveled, a safe journey home. I spent Turkey Day with my husband’s family in Arkansas; it rained and rained, but we were cozy with lots of bustling with lots of extended family members and. of course, heaps of food.
After a few days of lighter eating since then, I am so excited to announce 7 days of amazing cookies, all made with with nutritious, versatile, naturally gluten-free chickpea flour!
Chickpea flour has been used for centuries in Southeast Asian and North African countries to make a variety of sweets, including a rose-scented, clover-shaped shortbread-style cookie from Iran known as Nan-e nokhodchi. But I am looking forward to sharing all of the ways that this remarkable flour can be used in Western-style cookies, too.
First up is one of my favorite varieties of cookie: shortbread. Not just any shortbread, but cardamom and lemon scented shortbread. It’s dreamy.
It may take awhile to wrap your brain around the idea of baking with chickpea flour; wrapping your mouth around these cookies will take care of that.
Happy Baking, everyone!
- 2-1/2 cups (300 grams) chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup natural cane sugar or other granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cardamom, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until completely blended and smooth; stir in the lemon zest until blended. Stir in the flour mixture until a cohesive dough forms.
- Place a long sheet of plastic wrap on countertop. Transfer dough to middle of paper and roughly shape into a 2-inch wide log. Use the wrap to further roll and compact the dough into a log. Twist the ends to tightly seal. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough log onto a cutting board. Slice into 20 rounds. Place the rounds 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 18 minutes, until pale golden. Place the powdered sugar in a shallow dish. Transfer the warm cookies, one at a time, into powdered sugar, turning to coat. Place on cooling rack to cool completely.