I dub this the “pack and scramble” post, because, no matter how much I plan and pack ahead of time, I am inevitably packing and scrambling the morning I leave for a family trip. Granted, I could have cancelled my 6 am spin class this morning to give myself more time, but a pre-Thanksgiving workout felt pretty great, and my class (nearly full!) was extra-thankful and all-around amazing, so it was more than worth the effort.
Now that I’ve drawn you in with my run-on sentence/stream-of-consciousness introduction. allow me to share the secret to my extra energy this fine morn: Chia & Oat Energy Balls (2 ways, baby)!
I ate a bowl of fruit and yogurt, too, but I usually need an extra boost after a workout, and even more so when I am loading up the car and trying to remember to pack everybody’s toothbrush. Make a batch today, for nibbling on your trip, for an energy boost while cooking for the big day tomorrow, or for a portable, Black Friday shopping snack.
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
- 2 cups very soft pitted dates (e.g., Medjool; see tips for softening harder dates)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats (certified GF, as needed)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds, divided
- large pinch of sea salt (optional)
- In a food processor or high speed blender, process the dates, cocoa, oats, half the chia seeds and salt (optional) until smooth; scrape into a small bowl.
- With moistened hands (mixture will be very sticky), roll into 16 balls. Place remaining chia seeds in a small dish; roll balls in seeds to coat. Place ball on a plate, loosely cover with wax paper or foil, and chill at least 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.
Tip: If you have hard dates, simply soak them in warm water for about 15-20 minutes to soften. Drain, pat dry, and use.